New FirstNet Devices: The Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ Coming Soon to Public Safety Subscribers
Posted on February 25, 2018, Updated on June 28, 2018
First responders are long overdue for a tech upgrade. That's why we're excited to bring you the modern, cutting-edge capabilities you deserve through FirstNet. And we're building FirstNet to meet all your communications needs.
Giving you access to smart, innovative and robust device options is an important part of that. So, we're growing our FirstNet device ecosystem with the Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+.
By the end of March, first responder subscribers can use the Galaxy S9/S9+ to tap into the full power of FirstNet. This includes access to critical capabilities, like First PriorityTM, which includes both priority and preemption, so you can experience a reliable, highly secure and always-on connection to the information you need.
This is also the first Samsung device with built-in Band 14 access. Band 14 is special spectrum licensed to the First Responder Network Authority. We'll use Band 14 to build out FirstNet, installing it on tens of thousands of new and existing towers nationwide. This will give you even more coverage and capacity across the country to help you respond to emergencies when and where they happen.
To keep you on the cutting edge of smartphone technology, the feature-rich Galaxy S9/S9+ includes:
- Clearer images for enhanced situational awareness. When you need to communicate with images, the Galaxy S9/S9+ camera will help ensure what you send is high quality even in low-light conditions. Samsung's Dual Aperture1 (F1.5 - F2.4) expands and contracts like the way the iris of a human eye does - letting in more light when it's dark and less when it's too bright.
- One tap. Two apps. With App Pair and a tap of your finger, you can launch 2 apps at once and use them side by side on the immersive Infinity Display.2 As we continue to grow the FirstNet App Ecosystem, you can access more of the tools you need all at once.
- Unlock with a look. Use both the Iris Scanner and Facial Recognition to open your phone quickly and easily. Fusion biometrics now lets you unlock your device, even if you're in the dark or bright light.3 This will help you get the data you need quickly in any situation.
- Industry leading security. Samsung Knox provides added security for your sensitive public safety communications needs. It also means your personal and business content can coexist on the same device, and you can easily switch between the 2 with the touch of a button.
- Power that lasts. Emergencies are unpredictable. A longer-lasting battery means your device will be there when you need it.4
- Loud and clear. The increased speaker volume of the Galaxy S9/S9+ makes it easier to communicate and coordinate in loud and potentially chaotic environments. This will be even more beneficial for public safety when Enhanced Push-to-Talk capabilities are added to the device.
- Field ready. With an IP68 rating, the device is water and dust resistant. So you can use your device more confidently when and where you need it.5
This is an exciting update for public safety. We believe innovation in the larger mobile ecosystem can help propel public-safety-focused innovation. So, we'll continue to expand our device ecosystem with FirstNet Ready offerings in addition to specialized and customized public safety tools.
This will give you the power to choose how you connect to the critical information you need.
Come late March, current and potential FirstNet users interested in purchasing the Galaxy S9/S9+ can either contact your account lead, or you can go to your nearest AT&T retail store and ask for FirstNet. For a full look at the devices available on FirstNet, check out firstnet.com/devices.
1The Dual Aperture supports F1.5 mode and F2.4 mode. Dual Aperture is installed on the rear camera (Galaxy S9) and rear wide-camera (Galaxy S9+)
2 App Pair: Only on select apps.
3 Iris Scanner: Not intended to be used as a medical device and the biometric data collected and stored locally by the mechanism is not intended to be used for any diagnostic, therapeutic, or preventative purposes. Please follow all instructions for use of this feature. For more information, please refer to the product Health and Safety Guide.
4 Battery Life: Over one day of battery life based on average battery life typical usage conditions. Average expected performance based on typical use. Actual battery life depends on factors such as network, features selected, frequency of calls, and voice, data, and other application-usage patterns. Results may vary.
5 Water and Dust Resistant: IP68 Rating Based on test conditions for submersion in up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes. Rinse residue/dry after wet.