New FirstNet cell site launches
September 24, 2019
New FirstNet cell site launches continue to bring public safety a critical infrastructure upgrade
In the last year, the FirstNet platform, has continued to expand across the country with the launch of cell sites purpose-built to help ensure first responders are getting coverage where they need it most.
The FirstNet build is being carried out with direct feedback from state and public safety officials, and it is constructing the sites using the FirstNet Band 14 spectrum, as well as other spectrum bands in the AT&T commercial spectrum portfolio. In July 2018, FirstNet announced plans to build a new cell site in Bedford County, Pa., as part of its FirstNet build.
In just the first 8 months of the year, FirstNet has announced 8 new cell sites already launched in or coming to:
- Baltimore County, part of Maryland’s FirstNet build, which is bringing increased coverage and capacity to first responders across the state
- Preston County, part of the expansion in West Virginia with a site in Fellowsville
- The Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Reservation, part of the expansion in Wisconsin with a site on tribal land north of the Legendary Waters Casino & Resort
- Warren County in North Carolina, with one cell site in Warrenton and another near Lake Gaston
- Fairfax and Prince William counties, part of the expansion in Virginia, with the addition of 2 new, cell sites at the Fairfax County Courthouse and in Manassas – located near Lomond Drive and Fairmont Ave.
- Talbot County in Maryland, part of the expansion in the state, with the addition of a cell site in Tilghman Island
We have also continued to increase coverage and capacity across the country, deploying Band 14 spectrum on existing sites nationwide – now live in about 6501 markets. Nearly 9,000 public safety agencies and organizations are now subscribed to FirstNet, accounting for over 750,000 connections in service.2
And the numbers are growing daily. For the second consecutive quarter, FirstNet brings subscribers the fastest overall network experience. According to the results of tests taken with Speedtest as analyzed by AT&T, FirstNet once again performed faster than any commercial network.3
FirstNet is moving quickly with about 65% of our nationwide coverage targets completed well ahead of schedule. The more we roll out Band 14 across the country, the more we’re able to provide first responders with truly dedicated coverage and capacity when they need it. This helps them connect to critical information, communicate and coordinate.
1Markets defined by FCC CMAs.