Network security is the cornerstone of the FirstNet network philosophy
Cyber-attacks and cybercrime are increasing dramatically, and the ability to combat these threats is becoming more complex, challenging, and critical to mission success. Public safety agencies are often the target of cyber-criminals, hacktivists, and rogue nations. As such, cybersecurity is of the utmost importance to FirstNet.
The FirstNet network conforms to leading industry standards of network security and operating procedures to help protect FirstNet resources from unauthorized access, disclosure, corruption, or disruption of service. The FirstNet network relies on an integrated multilayer approach to threat management, firewalls, encryption, private network connections, mobile devices, and mobile application management – each helping to protect critical data, applications, and services running on the network.The FirstNet network will support mobile VPN solutions which provide FIPS 140-2 certified encryption for access to critical public safety applications.
A team of cybersecurity professionals at Network Operations and the dedicated Security Operations Centers (NOC/SOC) employ state-of-the-art tools to constantly scan the network to help detect and prevent intrusions and to address and resolve vulnerabilities.
The FirstNet network will consist of a comprehensive end-to-end security portfolio, helping to safeguard the public safety community and supporting its needs by:
- Providing a highly secure, robust architecture to maintain FirstNet network operational integrity.
- Protecting mobile devices, networks, and applications with end-to-end security and a dedicated Evolved Packet Core (EPC).
- Identifying, protecting against, and resolving threats with an advanced, dedicated SOC.
- Providing Identity, Credential, and Access Management (ICAM) solutions for multifactor authentication, mobile single sign-on (SSO), and integrity for federated FirstNet users.
- Providing application security through strict controls and a FirstNet Applications Catalog
- Working with developers to provide security-hardened devices suitable for public safety deployment.
- Delivering improved user experience through seamless integration of capabilities.
- Supporting the entire experience with dedicated U.S.-based Care and Security Operations Centers.
- Providing highly secure data center facilities with 24x7x365 video surveillance and controlled and alarmed access by authorized personnel.